For our Applicants
Young Leaders Council is committed to replenishing the leadership base for the Nashville community. YLC offers a unique and immersive training program designed to appeal to emerging leaders in our community. Since 1985, YLC has trained more than 2,700 young professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences to serve on the boards of more than 250+ nonprofit agencies. Currently, we offer five cohorts each year, and each class spans 11 weeks.
YLC’s spring classes are held over the course of 11 weeks beginning in mid-March and concluding in late May. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Although YLC offers rolling admissions, applicants are encouraged to apply by mid to late January to ensure full consideration as classes fill quickly.
Three cohorts are offered each spring:
- Nashville Spring – Wednesdays from 8:00-10:30am
- Junior League of Nashville (must be a JLN member) – Tuesdays from 8:00-10:30am
- Jack C. Massey College of Business at Belmont University (must be a Massey College of Business alumni) – Wednesdays from 4:00-6:30pm
YLC’s fall classes are also held over the course of 11 weeks beginning in early September and concluding in late November to early December. Fall applications are accepted throughout the year, however, priority is given to applications received by July 1.
Two cohorts are offered each fall:
- Nashville Fall – Wednesdays from 8:00-10:30am
- Williamson Chamber YP (open to qualified applicants that reside, work, or would like to do business in Williamson County) – Tuesdays from 8:00-10:30am
Pay Class Participation Fees
Class participation fees for fall 2021 have increased to $650, which includes a ticket to the annual YLC Leadership Luncheon. Please note that all payment transactions made online will include a credit card processing fee.
** Please select the dropdown option “Class Participation Fee” – [Selected Class] when making payments online.
Meet The 2021 Cohorts
- Interested in community service and nonprofit work
- Committed to attending all the training classes
- Eager to participate in a one-year internship on the board of a nonprofit organization
- Secured the approval of your manager to miss work for class sessions
- Have the ability to pay class participation fee, or have your company approval to pay
- The Young Leaders Council strives to maintain a strong cross section of individuals, backgrounds, occupations, and experiences in order to enhance the program.
- Preference will be given to those individuals who have volunteer experience and have demonstrated a commitment to community service.
- If an application is selected, the applicant will be asked to schedule a visit with the Executive Director. After the interview, the applicant will be notified if they have been selected to participate in the program.
- The applicant must submit a brief letter of recommendation from their immediate supervisor once the class starts. However, this is not required until the applicant has been accepted into the class.
- The applicant or the applicant’s company/organization is responsible for the non-refundable program fee. Every applicant is encouraged to ask their employer to sponsor the class fee because most companies do.
- Attendance is required at all training and internship information sessions. All training sessions must be completed before the internship process begins. The participant needs to notify the Executive Director in writing if a session is going to be missed. A missed session must be made up in the next scheduled class. If two or more sessions are missed without prior approval, the participant will be advised to discontinue the class.
- The participant must commit to and complete a one-year internship on the board of a nonprofit agency.
- Should the participant need to withdraw from the program because of an emergency, the applicant will be permitted only one other opportunity to participate in the program. Fees are not transferable between participants or classes.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
2200 21st Avenue South
Nashville, Tennessee 37212
Call Us: (615) 386-0060
Students Per Year
Cohorts each year