For our Applicants
Thank you again for your interest in Young Leaders Council. We are committed to replenishing the leadership base for the Nashville community. The Young Leaders Council offers a solid and unique program designed to appeal to emerging leaders in our community. Since 1984, the program has recruited and trained more than 2,700 young professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences to serve on the boards of more than 250+ nonprofit agencies. Currently, we offer five cohorts each year, and each class spans 11 weeks.
Spring classes take place 11 weeks during the spring months, late-February to May. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. The deadline is January 15, 2021 for all spring 2021 applications.
We offer three classes each Spring:
- Nashville Spring – Wednesday morning classes, 8:00-10:30
- Junior League of Nashville – must be a JL member, Tuesday morning classes, 8:00-10:30
- Belmont’s Jack C. Massey College of Business – must be an alum of Massey College of Business, Wednesday afternoon classes, 4:00-6:30
Fall classes take place 11 weeks during the fall months, September to November, with a goal of classes being completed prior to Thanksgiving. Applications are always accepted, but priority is given to applications received by June 1, the deadline is July 15, EXTENDED TO AUG 1 for Williamson Chamber YP.
We offer two classes each Fall:
- Nashville Fall – Wednesday morning classes, 8:00-10:30
- Williamson Chamber YP – open to anyone who lives, works, does and/or wants to do business in Williamson County – Thursday morning classes 8:00-10:30
Pay Class Participation Fees
2020 Tuition is $600, please note, online payments will include a $15 credit card processing fee.
- Interested in community service and nonprofit work
- Committed to attending all the training classes
- Eager to participate in a one-year internship on the board of a nonprofit organization
- Secured the approval of your manager to miss work for class sessions
- Have the ability to pay class participation fee, or have your company approval to pay
- The Young Leaders Council strives to maintain a strong cross section of individuals, backgrounds, occupations, and experiences in order to enhance the program.
- Preference will be given to those individuals who have volunteer experience and have demonstrated a commitment to community service.
- If an application is selected, the applicant will be asked to schedule a visit with the Executive Director. After the interview, the applicant will be notified if they have been selected to participate in the program.
- The applicant must submit a brief letter of recommendation from their immediate supervisor once the class starts. However, this is not required until the applicant has been accepted into the class.
- The applicant or the applicant’s company/organization is responsible for the non-refundable program fee. Every applicant is encouraged to ask their employer to sponsor the class fee because most companies do.
- Attendance is required at all training and internship information sessions. All training sessions must be completed before the internship process begins. The participant needs to notify the Executive Director in writing if a session is going to be missed. A missed session must be made up in the next scheduled class. If two or more sessions are missed without prior approval, the participant will be advised to discontinue the class.
- The participant must commit to and complete a one-year internship on the board of a nonprofit agency.
- Should the participant need to withdraw from the program because of an emergency, the applicant will be permitted only one other opportunity to participate in the program. Fees are not transferable between participants or classes.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
2200 21st Avenue South
Nashville, Tennessee 37212
Call Us: (615) 386-0060
Students Per Year
Cohorts each year